There is nothing better than Italian sausage in an air fryer on a weeknight for a quick and easy meal!
You can use the sausages in a number of ways. Traditionally used on sandwiches with peppers and onions, in salads, or as a protein-rich pasta.
In less than 15 minutes, this dish is air fried to perfection! It doesn’t matter what air fryer oven you have.
You can use either a tower air fryer or a basket style to cook the sausages just make sure it’s set to the air fry function.
How To Cook Your Air Fryer Italian Sausages
It’s easy and simple to cook Italian sausage in your air fryer basket and with so many air fryer sausage recipe cards the possibilities are endless.
- You can preheat the air fryer to 360°F. Add the Italian sausages to the air fryer basket once it’s hot enough and cook on the air fry setting. To ensure even cooking and browning, please ensure you leave sufficient space between them.
- Cook sausages through completely before serving. This can take between 8 to 15 minutes, depending on how thick the sausages are and the air fryer you are using.
- Flip the sausages halfway through cooking at about the 7-minute mark. It’s recommended that sausages have an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the sausages from the air fryer basket once they are cooked through. Ensure all the sausages are evenly browned. I recommend that you serve any air fryer Italian dish as soon as possible.
Italian Sausage Side Dishes
There are so many things you can serve air fryer Italian sausages with.
Put them in crusty hot dog buns with your favorite condiments, or serve them with white rice, fried potatoes, and grilled peppers, and onions.
Yummy Buttered Noodles
It’s impossible to deny the deliciousness of buttered noodles at any time of the year.
This pasta side dish combines butter and herbs to make it a perfect side for everyone!
The simplicity and ease of butter noodles make them a favorite dish. You’ll love these tasty, flexible sides, which are great for potlucks and parties.
Cook the noodles as you normally would then add your air fryer Italian sausage mix into the noodles and stir through.
Grilled Vegetables With Air Fryer Italian Sausage
If you’re cooking sausage links in the air fryer, you might as well maximize its efficiency. Therefore, you might want to grill some vegetables while at it.
As well as complementing the flavors the sausage offers, the veggies add a bit of vibrancy to your plate with their bold colors.
There are no rules about what vegetables you can use. Onions, eggplant, bell peppers, and squash work well with Italian sausage.
The versatility of marinara sauce goes beyond simply being quick and easy. You can use it in many ways.
The marinara sauce includes herbs, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. You can add extras such as olives and capers, but many enjoy it with Italian sausages.
You can dunk whole sausages in or pop small cuts onto toothpicks for a serving platter.
A Green Salad
Salads are often considered boring, but a good green salad is healthy and satisfying, especially after a heavy meal. Salads are excellent choices if you want to get more nutrients into your diet!
You can even chop up your Italian sausage and throw it in and give it a good toss. Sausages in the air fryer can improve a boring salad.
Corn is coarsely ground to make polenta, a northern Italian dish. The texture of fresh polenta is creamy and soft, like porridge.
Add Italian sausage links with sweet polenta for a mouthwatering meal. Many Italian meals include polenta as a side dish.
Coleslaw With Air Fryer Sausages
A tasty, tangy, smooth, crispy snack complements savory sausages perfectly. I never serve sausages without coleslaw.
I always make coleslaw when I make sausages. Many households always combine these two! Sausage and coleslaw are the perfect combinations for a balanced meal.
The wonderful zesty contrast provided by coleslaw is unmatched by any other salad!
Types Of Italian Sausages That Are Perfect For Air Frying
One-ingredient air fryer recipes are always a hit, aren’t they? A bunch of Italian sausages is all you need.
There are many kinds of Italian sausages. Here are some types of sausage you can use in an air fryer. Add a few different kinds of Italian sausage to a platter and enjoy with a few dips.
Hot Italian Sausage In The Air Fryer
A variety of seasonings are used in this meat-based sausage, including oregano, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, parsley, red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, and fennel seed.
Similar in flavor but without red pepper, this sausage is made the same way. If you don’t like spicy Italian sausage there is a mild Italian sausage variation.
Air Fryer Sweet Italian Sausage
These sausages are much like a mild Italian sausages. These sausages have the addition of sweet basil to achieve a sweeter taste.
Chicken And Turkey Sausage
You can get Italian sausages made from chicken, turkey, and pork as a low-fat alternative. Both types come in a hot and sweet version.
A pork sausage works well with cooked peppers for a healthy, juicy sausage recipe.
Can You Freeze Italian Sausage?
Let Them Cool Down First
Italian sausage links can certainly be frozen. Before placing it in the freezer, you must ensure the sausage has cooled down.
If you place hot meat into the freezer, it will end up freezing unevenly.
The best way to freeze it is to allow it to reach room temperature first. Make sure it’s airtight.
As soon as your meat has been cooked and is ready to be stored, remove any excess air from the package and do not allow any air bubbles to enter.
Always store freezer food in an airtight container and in a single layer if possible.
Double-packing is the best method. Place it in a bag after wrapping it tightly in foil. Ensure your outer bag is sealed well to last until you need it.
Make A Note Of The Date
Your life is busy, I get it. You may forget when you put the Italian sausage in the freezer.
Putting a sticker with the date on it simplifies your life. Check the date before cooking in the air fryer to ensure the Italian sausage hasn’t been in the freezer too long.
Is It Possible To Reheat Air Fryer Italian Sausages?
You can use your air fryer to not only cook Italian sausage but also reheat them by following these steps:
- Ensure you set the air fryer temperature at 350°F (180°C). You can check this with a digital meat thermometer.
- Ensure the sausage links are not touching each other when placed in the fryer basket.
- They should be heated in the air fryer for 4-5 minutes, and check their progress after 2 minutes. There is a risk of overcooking in an air fryer, so make sure to check the progress regularly.
- Serve immediately after it is completely warmed through.
As a result of the way an air fryer works, sausage skins heat up more quickly than the insides.
There’s a risk of mistaking the sausages for cooked due to the skins being so hot.
Before removing the sausage from the air fryer, always ensure it’s hot right through.
There Are Three Ways To Do This:
- Measure the temperature with a thermometer.
- Feel the inside of the sausage by cutting it open.
- Pull the sausage out with a fork and check the heat on the teeth.
Air fryers make it possible to reheat sausages to a perfect crispy goodness in just a few minutes. The air fryer is one of the best ways to cook an Italian sausage recipe or any meal for that matter.
The skin has a wonderful crispiness, while the inside of the piece of meat is moist and delicious.
In addition to being fast and convenient, this method also requires little effort. Ensure the sausages don’t get overcooked (they’ll become very dry).
Do Sausages Last Long?
Want to know how long cooked sausages can be stored safely? Please follow these guidelines:
- The longer cooked meat sits at room temperature, the more likely it is to attract harmful bacteria. After cooking your sausages, be sure to store them in the refrigerator within two hours.
- Reheat sausages within four days after they have been stored in the fridge. You will be able to make sure they are healthy and fresh.
- To ensure that frozen sausages are of the highest quality, you must reheat them within six months of being stored.
Tips For Frying Sausages In An Air Fryer
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer with food. Ensure the sausages are browned evenly on all sides by leaving space between them.
- Due to the high-fat content of sausages, they tend to drip a lot while being cooked. If you want to minimize smoking in your air fryer, you should start by using a clean one.
- The drip tray can also be filled with water or stale bread can be used to absorb excess grease.
- The internal temperature of a sausage in the air fryer should reach a minimum of 160 degrees F. The best way to tell if the sausage is done is to use a digital meat thermometer for the most accurate reading.
- Brats and other uncooked sausages can also be made using this method.
- There may be a difference in thickness between different sausage brands. Cooking times may be affected by the thickness of the sausage, which is why making adjustments following this factor is important.
It is easy to serve Italian sausages at home. Serve with peppers and onions, noodles, or a marinara sauce for the ultimate air fryer recipes.
Want an extra quick snack? Simply add the sausage in the middle of a fresh bun and enjoy with some fresh mustard.
When it comes to Italian sausages, air frying them is another incredible way to prepare them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Are Air Fryers Safe To Use For Cooking Italian Sausage?
There is no doubt that, yes, sausages can indeed be cooked in an air fryer, and they turn out perfect every time.
As for the texture, it's right on, it takes only 10 minutes to cook in the air fryer basket (depending on how long it takes each side) and the cooking method is totally hands-off, so you don't even have to touch it.
Does It Need To Be Preheated Before I Use It?
To avoid overcooking the sausage, you will need to reduce the cooking time by a small amount when you do decide to preheat.
Do I Need To Add Oil When Air Frying Italian Sausage Links?
No, you don’t. Sausages are already full of fat which will escape as they cook.
Pierce a few holes in the sausages before cooking in the air fryer which can help the oil to escape.
Some oil will remain on the sausage which helps to keep it moist during the cooking process.
Can I Air Fry Other Food With The Italian Sausage?
There are so many other foods that can be cooked in the air fryer and if you have room you can combine other food inside the cooker.
Different foods will require a certain internal temperature so check that all foods in the air fryer reach the correct temp before removing.
Research other air fryer recipes online to find out about what you can combine air fryer sausages with.
Kristy WarrenHello, I’m Kristy and the person behind KitchenPicker.com. I regularly post daily life kitchen-oriented things like kitchen hacks, kitchen tools, utensils, and related articles. The purpose of this blog is to make an archive and share my ideas and knowledge with my followers.
Tyson Chicken Fries Air Fryer Recipe
Tyson chicken fries air fryer recipes are so easy and fun to make. We'll show you how to cook them just right so they're golden and crispy, along with what to..