Popcorn chicken is a favorite for many people. In my experience, popcorn chicken is loved by everyone.
Honestly, who could say no to these delicious chicken bites that combine sweetness with a savory flavor?
Better yet, the popcorn chicken is air fried from scratch, loaded with flavorful boneless chicken, aromatic herbs, and spices, and doesn’t have the fat and calories of deep-fried food.
Make crispy popcorn chicken at home using this air fryer recipe. It takes a few minutes to prepare and even less time to cook.
Your family will love air fryer chicken served with a dipping sauce of your choosing.
Stay tuned for a special from-scratch recipe for popcorn chicken at the end!
Table of Contents
- Tips For Cooking Air Fryer Popcorn
- How To Reheat Popcorn Chicken In The Air Fryer?
- How To Freeze Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken?
- Different Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken Variations
- Is There Anything I Can Serve With Popcorn Chicken?
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- From Scratch Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken Recipe
Tips For Cooking Air Fryer Popcorn
- Make sure the chicken in the air fryer has enough space around it. To get it crispy, you need to cook the pieces evenly. To ensure proper cooking of the chicken in the air fryer, you should cook your chicken in batches if cooking a big amount.
- Make sure you preheat your air fryer. Adding the food to an air fryer requires some preheating time. Doing this will ensure that the air fryer popcorn chicken is at the correct temperature and that it will be crispy and juicy when you cook it.
- Avoid overcooking the air fryer popcorn chicken. (Just like conventional ovens) every air fryer cooks differently, and each one cooks at a different temperature.
- Take a few minutes to check your chicken to avoid overcooking or burning it! Write down the cooking time so you know for next time.
- To make your Tyson popcorn chicken lookalike extra crispy, spray the bites with oil before air-frying.
- Rather than storing popcorn chicken in plastic containers, use glass containers.
- Refrigerate them after they have cooled to room temperature.
- The popcorn chicken should be cooked first if you want to use it in another recipe, for example, a salad.
How To Reheat Popcorn Chicken In The Air Fryer?
Spread the chicken evenly in the air fryer basket. Heat for 2-3 minutes, until crisp and warm.
To reheat in the oven, set the temperature to 325 degrees F and transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet or rack.
Microwaves ruin the crispy exterior of the chicken. However, if you aren’t concerned about the crunch, you can microwave the chicken until it is warm.
If you want to cook frozen popcorn chicken like Tyson popcorn chicken that has already been cooked it only needs a few minutes to heat up.
How To Freeze Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken?
Fryer frozen popcorn chicken works out well. Once the chicken has cooled to room temperature, arrange the pieces on a large baking sheet to fit in the freezer.
For best results, the air fryer frozen popcorn should sit in the freezer for about an hour or until nearly frozen, then place it in a freezer bag; this helps to prevent the pieces from becoming one giant frozen popcorn chicken chunk of ice.
You can store fryer frozen popcorn chicken for up to three months after freezing.
If you have Tyson popcorn chicken in the freezer ensure you keep an eye on the dates to avoid leaving it in the freezer too long.
Different Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken Variations
Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken Without Gluten:
- If you want to make this gluten-free, substitute flour and breadcrumbs for a gluten-free option.
Popcorn Chicken With Low Carbs Or A Keto Version:
- As an alternative to breadcrumbs, use ground hemp hearts or flax meal
- For corn flour, substitute low-carb flour (almond or coconut flour).
Air Fryer Chicken Popcorn Style Like KFC:
- Add buttermilk to the seasoning mix
- When the chicken has been mixed with buttermilk seasoning, place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. After that, add the crumbs and cook the chicken pieces in your air fryer.
Air Fryer Frozen Popcorn Chicken
You can purchase frozen popcorn, but IMO it’s not as good in the air fryer as freshly made-from-scratch popcorn chicken.
Frozen popcorn chicken can tend to dry out when cooked.
Tyson popcorn chicken bites are the best air fryer frozen popcorn chicken to use if you want to go that route.
Is There Anything I Can Serve With Popcorn Chicken?
In my opinion, popcorn chicken is one of the most versatile air fryer chicken meals around.
They can be used as a simple chicken dinner for the kids. They make delicious finger foods, as well as tasty appetizers.
There are endless air fryer recipes, especially for chicken in the air fryer.
Whip up your favorite dipping sauce combined with more air fryer recipes to find the perfect easy dinner for you.
My favorite ways of serving air fryer popcorn chicken are:
- You can make the best crispy chicken in the air fryer sandwiches by piling them on slices of bread, adding slaw or salad, and a good dose of mayonnaise.
- In a bowl with a side of bbq dipping sauce
- Ranch dressing and salad on a bun
- Chicken in the air fryer served with fries and slaw and a squirt of bbq sauce makes a tasty family meal for those who love popcorn chicken.
Once you have tasted the popcorn chicken air fried, you won’t look back.
Simple to cook and no big pots to clean, why would you want to cook it any other way?
If you don’t like Tyson frozen popcorn chicken then try making it from scratch and air frying with a nice honey mustard coating.
Try the delicious recipes and play around with the cooking time and see what you prefer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
What Is the Best Type of Chicken to Use for Popcorn Chicken?
Chicken breasts that are boneless and skinless are best for this recipe. It would also be possible to use boneless, skinless thighs.
You can use frozen chicken, but it's best to thaw the raw chicken before cooking.
Do You Know What Popcorn Chicken Tastes Like When It’s Air-Fried?
Air fried popcorn chicken is similar to chicken nuggets, but it has smaller pieces.
You'll find less chicken and more breadcrumbs in this recipe, so it's perfect for those who love extra crispy chicken with crunchy breading!
Popcorn Chicken: Is it Healthy?
When you think about popcorn chicken, you might always wonder if it's a good idea to consume it.
You will benefit from this easy and healthy air-fried popcorn chicken recipe.
In addition to being simple and delicious, this recipe does not require deep-frying, making it a healthier option.
Check out the nutrition serving size to ensure you are eating within healthy proportions.
How Do I Store the Cooked Popcorn Chicken?
Always store any leftovers in an airtight container. The chicken can dry out when it's left in the fridge without being covered.
From Scratch Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken Recipe
This yummy from-scratch popcorn chicken recipe is sure to leave your guests begging for more. And the air fryer gives it just the right crisp and crunch without the oily taste of deep frying.
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon dried basil and oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- Sprinkle of salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts cut into pieces about 1-inch by 1-inch max
- You need to preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken pieces in a medium bowl.
- Combine all the seasonings in another bowl. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the mix for later on.
- Give the chicken a good mix to ensure it is coated evenly.
- In a separate bowl, add the cornstarch and the teaspoon of seasoning you kept aside and mix.
- Grab a resealable bag and throw the chicken and the mix in.Toss it all together to coat the chicken.
- Once the cornstarch has been absorbed into the chicken, let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Give the air fryer basket a good spray with nonstick oil and place the chicken inside.Ensure all the pieces are not sticking together or overlapping one another. Arranging in a single layer is best.You can make these in bulk and just run the air fryer twice to cook them all.
- Cook the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes and let the hot air do its thing. Take out the air fryer basket and shake it to move the chicken around.Place the air fryer basket back in and continue cooking for another 4 minutes. The chicken is cooked when it is no longer pink on the inside.
- Each air fryer will have different cooking times, so always check the chicken first before serving. A meat probe is the best way to tell, once it reads 165 degrees F.
- Your scratch-made popcorn chicken is best when served immediately.
This pairs great with a salad also!
Coleslaw mix as a side works really well and the popcorn chicken gives you the right amount of crunch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 684mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 71g
We've done our best to provide accurate nutritional information, but it will vary based on the ingredients you wind up using and the amounts used so you should double-check the product labels for yourself.