A messy air fryer is a fact of life. When it comes to preventing this mess, we look around the kitchen for other items that might help make things a little less messy.
Wax paper is one of the many things that might be available in your pantry that you may think would be a good idea to prevent the mess as it has a nonstick coating.
So, can you put wax paper in an air fryer? No, it is not heat safe and may cause a fire if it gets too close to the heating element.
Follow along as we show you some other alternatives you can use for less mess.
Table of Contents
- Why Wax Paper Can’t Be Used In An Air Fryer?
- Using Aluminum Foil In The Air Fryer
- Is Parchment Paper Safe To Use In An Air Fryer?
- How Does Wax Paper React When It Is Placed In An Air Fryer?
- How To Use Regular Parchment Paper In The Air Fryer?
- What Is The Difference Between Wax Paper And Baking Paper?
- How Air Fryers Work And How They Affect Wax Paper
- Air Fryer Tips If Using Basket Linings
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Why Wax Paper Can’t Be Used In An Air Fryer?
Wax paper definitely has some advantages. Using wax paper in the kitchen can keep food items fresh or prevent them from sticking together by wrapping food tightly in the paper.
With the application of wax, it becomes moisture-proof.
Moisture cannot escape or seep when wrapping food with wax paper. You can place cookies or greasy food on it without worrying about the grease soaking through to whatever is underneath.
You can do many things with wax paper, but you cannot cook with it, especially in an air fryer basket.
There is no heat resistance in wax paper. When subjected to too much heat, it will smoke and possibly catch fire.
When you put wax paper in the oven, it will cause it to curl and burn very quickly.
An air fryer will also produce the same results. Do not use wax paper in the air fryer!
Using Aluminum Foil In The Air Fryer
For a better understanding of what you can and cannot use in an air fryer, consider it an oven.
An air fryer functions similarly to small convection ovens, offering heat distribution through heating elements.
You can’t use wax paper in the oven or the air fryer. An oven versus air fryer to cook at home works in the same way.
Using foil in an air fryer is okay if there is enough room for airflow. Don’t cover the basket or tray of the fryer in full.
Blocked airflow when air frying will result in improper cooking of the food.
Steps For Using Foil In An Air Fryer:
- To make sure the aluminum foil stays in place, always place it at the basket’s bottom. Only use foil in the basket-type air fryers.
- Cooking pans should not have foil on their bottoms. Food particles and grease will fall down; this may cause your food to become dirty and damaged.
- To ensure the foil does not protrude at the sides, it must be cut small and shaped properly.
- Don’t cover cooking baskets with aluminum foil all the way around.
- Always place food on top of aluminum foil. In the absence of weight, it may become stuck inside the heating unit, causing a fire.
Is Parchment Paper Safe To Use In An Air Fryer?
When parchment papers are properly cut and you use perforated parchment paper, your air fryer can safely use them.
A combination of parchment paper and an air fryer allows you to cook food to the perfect consistency and crispiness.
You can use parchment paper when cooking chicken wings, french fries, and hamburger patties.
Parchment Paper Tips And Hacks:
- Always line baskets with parchment paper.
- Be sure the parchment paper doesn’t stick out too far from the basket’s edges.
- The parchment paper should not cover the entire cooking basket. The air fryer needs proper air circulation. It must have at least some holes. Pre-perforated liners are recommended in such cases, or you can simply punch holes in the kitchen paper.
- Always place food items on parchment paper. Be sure to weigh down the parchment paper. Otherwise, it may get stuck in the heating element and catch fire.
While they sound the same, wax paper and parchment paper are different. Wax paper has a paraffin wax coating, so it’s moisture-resistant. Parchment paper has a silicone coating, so it becomes heat resistant.
How Does Wax Paper React When It Is Placed In An Air Fryer?
Food Can Be Contaminated By Wax
When you use wax paper in an air fryer the heat can cause the wax to leach out into the food.
Despite the wax being food-safe and not harmful to you, the heat changes this and food that contains those particles is now ruined.
The Risk Of Fire Is High With Wax Paper
Since wax paper is not heat-resistant, the paper will eventually become too hot and burn. If left unattended, this could escalate quickly into the destruction of your kitchen or residence.
There is no point in taking the risk.
The bottom basket of an air fryer should be lined with tin foil or parchment paper to prevent things from sticking to it or keep the bottom clean.
How To Use Regular Parchment Paper In The Air Fryer?
Directly placing the food on parchment paper is the best way to do it. Air fryer baskets can be lined with parchment paper each time you use them.
1. Measuring Parchment Paper Is The First Step.
There should be a gap of about one inch around it, larger than the air fryer’s basket.
If you want to fold the parchment paper to make it fit, you can do so.
Don’t let the food touch the basket’s sides.
2. You Must Preheat The Air Fryer Without Any Parchment Inside It.
Food and parchment paper should be placed in the air fryer basket when it is hot. Bake at the recommended temperature for the suggested time.
A little browning will occur on the parchment paper in an air fryer. However, it is okay if it becomes slightly charred.
After cooking, cool the dish for a few minutes before serving.
Once the parchment paper is removed from the food, carefully dispose of it.
Parchment paper is good for lining baking trays for easy clean-up.
3. Avoid Reusing Parchment Paper
When parchment paper has been used in the air fryer, you cannot reuse it.
The parchment paper is likely to catch fire if it is heated too high. Once it has been used, it can become thin and fragile.
What Is The Difference Between Wax Paper And Baking Paper?
Similarly to parchment paper, baking paper is silicone coated which prevents it from melting under high temperatures.
On the other hand, wax paper is made from man-made wax that melts at a lower temperature, which makes it unsuitable for cooking.
How Air Fryers Work And How They Affect Wax Paper
In an air fryer, hot air is circulated repeatedly from below. The basket contents are evenly heated as a result of this process.
No complicated processes are involved in air fryers, and due to air’s lightness and ability to easily reach small corners, food is heated quickly.
Nevertheless, since airflow ensures sufficient heat is supplied to the basket’s contents, parchment or wax paper could interfere with the process.
There are some areas where it can block airflow.
When airflow is blocked, there are two risks. As a result, some food portions will remain cold or uncooked because not enough heat will be applied.
A second problem occurs when too much air flows into one part of the basket because another part is blocked.
Food can become burnt as a result of this imbalance.
Aluminum foil has the same effect. It will get hotter quicker than wax or parchment paper.
Because of this, paper-based coverings are better compared to aluminum-based coverings.
When paper obstructs the airflow, how can it be dealt with? Don’t use it?
While there are problems with using some paper sheets, however, if nothing is used, you risk splattering oil all over the fryer basket. So you’re still better off using some parchment paper with perforations for easier cleanups.
Air Fryer Tips If Using Basket Linings
1. Don’t let the food get too sticky during the cooking process when you air fry.
2. Don’t make the kitchen paper in an air fryer too big or small.
3. Avoid touching the heating element with the paper.
4. When using a drawer-style air fryer, place the paper in the bottom of the cooking basket.
5. Before using your air fryer, ensure the heat-safe paper is in the right position.
6. Avoid using metal utensils as it can damage the coating on the air fryer basket.
Can you put wax paper in an air fryer? That’s a good question to ask, but unfortunately, you shouldn’t put wax paper in an air fryer at all.
Instead of using wax paper opt for aluminum foil, parchment paper, or use baking trays.
Baskets and containers for air fryers are usually dishwasher-safe, so you may also decide not to use any lining at all.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
What kind of paper can you use in air fryer?
Parchment paper is fine to use in an air fryer. You should use a perforated version or create the holes yourself to maintain proper air flow.
Can you use foil or parchment paper in an air fryer?
Yes, either is fine if used properly. Make sure to make them the proper size and that they don’t block air flow in the basket.
Can I use foil in an air fryer?
Yes, this is perfectly fine, just follow the above steps in the article to make sure you are using the foil properly.
Can Reynolds wax paper go in air fryer?
No, please no! No wax paper at all should go in your air fryer, no matter the brand. It is not heat resistant and could cause a fire.
Can you put a paper towel in an air fryer?
No. Using a paper towel is another fire hazard for your air fryer as it doesn’t have a heat-resistant surface.