There’s nothing that compares to fried food, especially hush puppies. If you’ve ever had them as a little side treat to some fish and chips you know what I’m talking about.
So now you’re probably wanting to recreate that delicious round ball of battered goodness and are wondering if they can turn out as good in an air fryer…especially if they’re *gasp* frozen hushpuppies?
Let me tell you, air fryer hush puppies, if done right, will be even better than what you expect. Don’t worry, we’ll show you how!
Hush Puppies: What Are They?
In case you didn’t already know, they are very popular in southern cuisine. Hushpuppies are typically made from cornmeal batter.
You can buy frozen variations with added paprika and spice up the dish with garlic and onion powder. However, any herbs or seasoning you prefer would work.
Sugar, buttermilk, and cornmeal are combined with spices. It results in a creamy, silky, and delicious batter mixture when combined.
You can skip making them from scratch and buy frozen hush puppies that you only have to throw in the air fryer for a quick and easy snack.
How Do You Cook Frozen Hushpuppies In Your Air Fryer?
With a frozen hush puppy, you will be able to cook them in the air fryer in no time at all. Quite simply:
- Preheat the air fryer for a few minutes until up to temp and add your frozen hush puppies. Avoid overcrowding them in the air fryer basket. Arrange them with some space in between. A single layer is best.
- Cooking oil spray can be lightly sprayed on the hush puppies, but it’s not necessary.
- Using the air fryer, cook the puppies at 390 degrees F for between 9 and 10 minutes or until they are done to your liking. Ensure nothing sticks together by shaking your basket to turn the hushpuppies halfway. The cooking time will vary depending on the air fryer used.
Can You Reheat Hush Puppies In The Air Fryer?
It’s certainly possible to reheat frozen hush puppies in a high-speed air fryer. The air fryer should be set to a temperature of 390°F to 400°F.
The frozen hush puppies will need to be heated for about ten minutes. When you heat up frozen hushpuppies in an air fryer, you can spray a little oil on them, as sometimes, when you reheat leftovers, they can become a little dry.
Air Fryer Hush Puppies That Are Premade And Frozen:
Hush puppies are easy to make at home if you prefer not to use already-made frozen ones.
These can go in the freezer and be taken out when you’re ready to eat them. Balls can then be formed once all the ingredients are mixed. An air fryer can be used to cook frozen hushpuppies that have been premade from scratch the same way as cooking frozen store bought ones.
A temperature setting of 390 degrees Fahrenheit (F) is necessary for the air fryer hush puppies. Frozen premade puppies should be cooked for around 10 minutes, and keep checking that the inside is cooking through. It can take longer due to them being frozen.
Hush Puppies Bought From A Store
Hush puppies that can be purchased frozen can make a delicious nighttime snack. The air fryer can be used to cook frozen hush puppies purchased from a store.
The hush puppies can be air fried for at least 7 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit (F).
How To Store Hush Puppies Once Cooked
When hush puppies are fresh-fried, they taste best, but if you have leftovers, you can reheat them and enjoy them the following day.
If you have leftovers, place them in an airtight container in the fridge.
Variations Of Scratch Made Hush Puppies For Air Fryers
Making hush puppies from scratch is super easy. Here is a simple recipe:
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup of pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- minced onion to taste
But why stop there? You can add some extra excitement with any of the following variations which are still perfect air fryer recipes.
- Cheese – 1/2 cup of cheese enhances the savory taste of these. Adding cheddar offers the best flavor, but Parmesan would also be excellent.
- Creole or Cajun seasoning – add a teaspoon of seasoning for added flavor. As well as adding heat, these will add saltiness, so make sure to taste before you add salt.
- Jalapeno – Your hushpuppies can be spiced up with bits of jalapenos chopped and mixed into the batter. Spicy flavors abound in every bite that pair well with flavorful dips.
- Okra or Corn Kernels – One of my favorite versions of this recipe is made with okra and corn kernels. It adds fresh vegetables to the mix, which is a great way to sneak some veggies in if you have picky eaters around. No one will ever know what’s inside. Sweet corn hushpuppies are a common favorite.
- Beer batter – Nothing better than air fryer battered foods. Adding beer to the batter will increase its liquid content, resulting in a looser mixture. I recommend adding just enough to maintain a firm, thick batter. The crispiness is more affected than the flavor by this.
- Louisiana-style hot sauce – One of my favorites since it imparts just the right amount of heat without altering the flavor of the dish
- Red Pepper flakes – Depending on how hot you like, use a teaspoon to a tablespoon.
Should I Thaw Frozen Hush Puppies Before Cooking Them In An Air Fryer?
Cooking frozen foods, when thawed, can have extra water and moisture content. They can lose their thick consistency when they start to thaw and look soggy.
Arrange frozen hushpuppies in a single layer without crowding them and cook them from their frozen state for best results and to retain the shape.
Air Fryer Hush Puppies Can Be Purchased Frozen
When you need a quick snack and don’t want to have to prep, frozen snacks are a great option. In most grocery stores or variety stores, you can find these ready to go in the frozen food aisle.
Budget-friendly snacks for air frying often come at an affordable price.
Tips And Tricks For Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- Whenever you make an air fryer recipe, make sure to check it as it cooks since air fryers all produce different levels of heat.
- Suppose you made a batch of air fryer hush puppies and cooked them for 10 minutes, then made a second batch. It will take less time for the second batch to cook since the air fryer is already hot.
- As you air fry each batch, keep them warm in the oven until all batches are done.
- Frozen hush puppies are best, and you can grab them from your freezer anytime you want! Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator overnight.
- Hush puppies can easily be frozen and then fried in an air fryer oven or an air fryer basket. When air frying in a tower, select the “Air Fry” setting and use the center rack.
- If you like a little extra crunch, you can add a light amount of cooking spray before you cook the hush puppies.
- If you want more even-looking hushpuppies when making from scratch you can use a cookie dough scoop.
- You don’t necessarily have to preheat the air fryer. Most air fryer recipes will state to do so, but you can just add a minute extra of cooking time if you’re in a hurry.
- If you have allergies, check the ingredients, as some contain wheat flour and raw grains.
If you want the best result from your air fried frozen hush puppies, you should fry them in an air fryer for at least 10 minutes.
Hushpuppies in the air fryer come out golden brown in color, which will let you know the cooking process was successful. When cooking frozen hushpuppies, there is little or no oil required with air fryer recipes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Do I Have to Shake the Batch When Cooking?
It's a good idea when using your air fryer for hushpuppies to shake the basket halfway through to allow the air fryer hushpuppies to cook through evenly. If you don't shake the basket, then they can cook unevenly.
Can You Use A Baking Sheet To Cook Frozen Hush Puppies?
Food with a wet batter works great in an air fryer with a baking sheet. Using parchment paper will make it easier to remove.
The air frier hush puppies will be easier to remove from the basket if you use it (no matter how well-oiled the basket is).
Avoid placing wet batter straight on the bottom of the air fryer basket. If you prefer, you can use aluminum foil, it works in the same way.
- 1 packet of frozen hushpuppies
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit
- In the meantime, take the hushpuppies out of the package. Thawing them is not necessary.
- After that, add them to the air fryer basket, distributing them evenly. Baskets and racks shouldn't be overcrowded.
- Cook at 390ºF for 7 minutes, shaking at the halfway point. As soon as they turn the desired shade of golden brown, remove them from the air fryer.
Cooking times may vary due to different air fryers like towers and baskets. Serve hot as an additional side to chicken or fish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 49g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g