How about having a portable stove all the time so that you can cook your favorite foods anytime, anywhere?
This wish can come true if you just get a hot plate. Yes, hot plates are all you need to satisfy the hungry you.
Table of Contents
What is a hot plate?
A hot-plate is a portable heating instrument which is often used as either a stove or as a replacement of a gas burner or oven where full kitchen facilities aren’t available. Typically, nowadays most of the hot plates are electrical- powered. But gas-fired ones were also available in the 19th century.
A hot-plate usually has a round surface or flat surface. They also come with the various size and the smaller ones are mainly perfect for traveling.
How to use a hot plate?
The main purpose of a hot plate is to prepare or reheat already cooked dishes. But there are a few things you need to keep in mind while using a hot plate:
- Try to avoid using any metal pan on the hot plate since it can damage the hot plate and cause accidents.
- Dry the lower surface of the pan before putting it on to the hot plate. Otherwise, both the hot plate and the pan will be damaged over time.
- Never put anything that is not stove heat-resistant on the hot plate.
- Use heat-resistant gloves while working with the hot pan on the hot plate.
- Don’t use the hot plate near any flammable and volatile objects.
- If there is any crack in the hot plate heating surface then don’t use the hot plate without repairing it or without asking the manufacturer.
- Maintain the recommended temperature for a different kind of cooking in the user manual.
- Most importantly don’t move a hot plate when you are done with using it. Let it cool in a safe place before storing the hot plate.
Make sure you are following these safety measures while using a hot plate so that you can avoid an accident.
How to Cook on a Hot Plate?
Now that you know how to handle a hot plate safely, you can begin cooking on it. To do so:
- First of all, place a stove heat-resistant pan on the hot plate. Make sure to dry the lower bottom of the pan. If you need to spray oil, do it before putting the pan on the plate.
- Now plug in the hot plate and turn it on moderate mood. Don’t keep the plate on without placing a pan on top of it for long.
- Add the ingredients while the pan is being hot on the plate.
- Cook the dish according to your recipe. Use protective gloves while handling the hot pan on the plate. Never touch the pan while it is still hot.
- After the cooking is done, remove the pan from the plate. Unplug the plate if you are not going to use it for now. Let it cool for the time being.
How to clean rusty hot plates?
Cleaning the hot plate after each use is another important task to keep the hot plate in great condition for a long time. If you don’t clean the hot plate regularly dirt, oily residue, food particles will stick on the plate surface and form rust over time. Cleaning the rust after a long time will be twice harder hen regular cleaning and it also affect the longevity of the hot plate. So cleaning in a proper way is a must.
There are several ways of carrying out the cleaning task. You can use oven cleaner or glass cleaner. Spray it on the plate and leave it for 30 minutes. Then wipe it off with a towel or soft scrubber. Don’t use an aggressive scrubber on the plate as it will scratch the plate.
There is some specialized hot plate cleaner available in the store now. You can give them a try as well.
As for the home remedy you can use bicarb and vinegar. Spink some bicarb on the plate and spray some vinegar on it. Give the plate a good scrub and rinse off after done. A mixture of baking soda and water will just do the same if you follow this technique.
Temperature controlled hot plate:
Controlling the temperature properly is essential for cooking the food properly. And many hot plate models have a temperature control system. You can control the temperature by adjusting the voltage and power you are using for the hot plate. Some plate has set for different types of cooking. You just need to press the button and the plate will automatically adjust the temperature according to the cooking style.
Heat retentive plates:
This one is awesome appliance. These heat retentive plates are meant to keep the food served on them hot for 30minutes on its own. Yes, you heard right. All you need to do is microwave the plate for a minute. This plate has a heat retaining mechanism which locks the heat from the microwave and keeps the food warm. And you can handle this plate bare hand without the fear of getting burned.
Is it safe to put a plate in the oven?
Is it safe to put a plate in the microwave depends on the plate material? If the plate is oven proof you can put it in the oven. As for example, ceramic plates are okay to put in the oven but not the plastic or regular glass one. You can check if a plate is ovenproof or not as the plates will have a notation on the lower part of the plate.
Best hot plate for boiling water:
There are many options in the market when it comes to choosing a hot plate to boil water. Some trust-worthy picks are:
- Duxtop LCD 1800-Watt Induction burner,
- Secura 9100MC 1800-watt Induction burner,
- Chef’s Star 1800-watt Induction burner.
Are hot plates safe?
Since the hot plates are electrical appliance, it can cause accidents if not handle carefully. So you need to follow all the safety measures to ensure a safe use. And always invest in a well-known brand when buying a hot plate.
Hot plates are really a convenient way of cookery even in a place where a full kitchen facility isn’t possible. But you have to be careful while using a hot plate otherwise it can cause severe injury. And take a good care of your hot plate to maintain the longevity.
- How To Insulate Under a Kitchen Sink: 4 Easy DIY Solutions - January 30, 2020
- 10 Best Carbon Steel Woks – Perfect Utensils For Asian & Handmade Recipes - January 19, 2020
- 10 Best Meat Injectors Review 2020: Top 10 Recommended - January 19, 2020