Woks are awesome in increasing the taste of any stir-fried dish. Cooking on a wok is a traditional way. Besides, it works great in preparing mouthwatering food. If you are a wok user, you can understand what I am trying to say. Whatever you choose, Carbon steel woks, stainless steel woks, cast iron woks, copper woks all of them works outstanding in adding fresh and delicious flavor to the food cooked on it.
But, there is a twist!
It's not come up with ready to use state. After buying a new wok, you must do the first thing before starting using it, season your wok correctly. But don't worry, here we are to give you the easy and simple tricks to season and cleaning by yourself.
Table of Contents
Seasoning Your Wok
Seasoning a wok means, protecting it from rust by applying a natural method that stops your wok from absorbing water and cause to rust. Besides, it adds more flavor to the food you cook on your wok.
So, you have known the importance of seasoning the wok. Now, let’s know how to season a wok with a step-by-step instructions guide below.
Required Ingredients -
Before knowing the process, know what you need through the entire seasoning procedure. Here are the needed ingredients.
- Oil: You can use lard instead of oil if you wand. Normally, you can apply peanut oil, canola oil or sunflower oil for seasoning your wok.
- Ginger: You need to chop ginger for the process.
- Scallion: Chop some scallions also while chopping ginger.
That’s all you need. You can season your wok using your stovetop or the microwave oven as well. Though the stovetop process is easier and convenient we are giving the instructions of seasoning in stove top process for you.
Here goes the step-by-step instructions -
- Step 1: Turn on your stove and set the wok on it. Now, set heat in high-heat and keep until the wok gets properly heated.
- Step 2: Put some water and check if the wok is heated accurately. If it is lower the heat and keep it totally dry.
- Step 3: Put 3 tbsp of the oil you have chosen for seasoning your wok, wait for some minutes and let it get warmed.
- Step 4: Put the chopped ginger and scallion on the wok and make sure all the ingredient is covering the whole wok area.
- Step 5: Stier real good for at least 20 minutes. If the ingredients get dried or start to burn add some more oil into it.
- Step 6: After 20 minutes remove the wok and cool it. Your seasoning is done.
This is how your brand new wok will be saved from rust attack. So, season your wok for a long-lasting use. This is mainly applicable for a carbon steel wok. Besides, if you want to know how to season stainless steel wok, it’s way easier. Just put some peanut oil into your wok and set on the stove and heat. Keep it for 30 minutes with low heat and wash it off. It’s done.
Watch this video below to better understand How To Season A Wok:
Cleaning Your Wok
After seasoning the wok the first thing comes on mind is how to wash it, right? So, if you have the same question here is the washing process for you below. Read it thoroughly and follow what is said.
To wash your wok, first of all, remove it from heat and cool it. Be sure you can hold it and it’s not hot anymore. Now, remove all the food debris and removable stuff from it. Then add some warm water to it. It will make the stuck foods easy to remove.
After that, apply dishwashing liquid to the wok. Take the scrubber and put pressure to wash it off accurately. When done, clean it with water and mop the wok with a cotton cloth. Your wok is neatly clean.
By reading this article you should have known the process of seasoning carbon steel woks and the stainless steel ones as well and surely got clear idea on taking care of woks.
- How To Polish a Knife with Household Items: Step by Step Guide - August 1, 2021
- Nakiri vs Santoku Knife: Detailed Comparison Guide - July 31, 2021
- FoodSaver Won’t Stop Vacuuming – Things You Must To Know Before Fixing - March 20, 2021