Woks are awesome in increasing the taste of any stir-fried dish. Cooking on a wok is a traditional way. Besides, it works great in preparing mouthwatering food. If you are a wok user, you can understand what I am trying to say. Whatever you choose Carbon steel woks, stainless steel woks, cast iron woks, copper woks all of them works outstanding in adding fresh and delicious flavor to the food cooked on it.
Choosing the best wok is not that difficult when you know what facts you need to check while buying it. Checking facts are not much, just some important points and you will easily get the best one for sure. To help you get the best one or know if the one you already have is the best one or not, we have discussed some tips below. Check it out.
Table of Contents
How to Choose the Best Wok
If you are buying a wok for the first time, I will suggest you to make a good research on it before you buy. Because you will find various types available in market which is quite confusing to go with a particular one without proper idea on it. After you know about the different types, here what you need to check while buying the wok.
- Material: You can choose any material you prefer. Carbon steel, stainless steel, copper, cast iron and many more. Just check if the material is good enough and is exactly how it should be.
- Type: If you like to wash your wok every time immediately after use you will have to go with the regular washable type and if you want to use it several times and then wash according to the instructions, choose the polished woks.
- Size: Usually, 30-35 centimeter woks are accurate for home stoves. Size is an important factor here because your stove can’t work with a bigger size than its range. So, it’s a good decision to get a medium size one.
- Shape: All woks has the same basic round shape. The design can vary in various types. Get the round bottom one, which is always top in the best list.
- Handle: There are two types of handles in different woks. The stick handle and the loop handle. Actually, the stick handle delivers the most comfort to beginners or less skilled people as it’s too easy to hold and move and if you are professional at wok cooking you can easily go with the loop handle. Choose the one according to your comfort.
So, these are the focusing facts. Don't forget to check these qualities in order to buy best carbon steel woks and while purchasing any other wok to ensure you are getting the right one.
Seasoning Your Wok
Just after buying a new wok the first thing you must do before start using it is, season your wok properly. Do you know what is it? Seasoning a wok means, protecting it from rust by applying a natural method that stops your wok from absorbing water and cause to rust. Besides, it adds more flavor to the food you cook on your wok.
So, you have known the importance of seasoning the wok. Now, let’s know how to season a wok with a step-by-step instructions guide below.
Before knowing the process, know what you need through the entire seasoning procedure. Here are the needed ingredients.
- Oil: You can use lard instead of oil if you wand. Normally, you can apply peanut oil, canola oil or sunflower oil for seasoning your wok.
- Ginger: You need to chop ginger for the process.
- Scallion: Chop some scallions also while chopping ginger.
That’s all you need. You can season your wok using your stovetop or the microwave oven as well. Though the stovetop process is easier and convenient we are giving the instructions of seasoning in stove top process for you. Here goes the step-by-step instructions.
- Step 1: Turn on your stove and set the wok on it. Now, set heat in high-heat and keep until the wok gets properly heated.
- Step 2: Put some water and check if the wok is heated accurately. If it is lower the heat and keep it totally dry.
- Step 3: Put 3 tbsp of the oil you have chosen for seasoning your wok, wait for some minutes and let it get warmed.
- Step 4: Put the chopped ginger and scallion on the wok and make sure all the ingredient is covering the whole wok area.
- Step 5: Stier real good for at least 20 minutes. If the ingredients get dried or start to burn add some more oil into it.
- Step 6: After 20 minutes remove the wok and cool it. Your seasoning is done.
This is how your brand new wok will be saved from rust attack. So, season your wok for a long-lasting use. This is mainly applicable for a carbon steel wok. Besides, if you want to know how to season stainless steel wok, it’s way easier. Just put some peanut oil into your wok and set on the stove and heat. Keep it for 30 minutes with low heat and wash it off. It’s done.
Watch this video below to better understand How To Season A Wok:
Cleaning Your Wok
After seasoning the wok the first thing comes on mind is how to wash it, right? So, if you have the same question here is the washing process for you below. Read it thoroughly and follow what is said.
To wash your wok, first of all, remove it from heat and cool it. Be sure you can hold it and it’s not hot anymore. Now, remove all the food debris and removable stuff from it. Then add some warm water to it. It will make the stuck foods easy to remove.
After that, apply dishwashing liquid to the wok. Take the scrubber and put pressure to wash it off accurately. When done, clean it with water and mop the wok with a cotton cloth. Your wok is neatly clean.
By reading this article you should have known the process of seasoning carbon steel woks and the stainless steel ones as well and surely got clear idea on taking care of woks. Besides, if you read this article thoroughly you will get the proper idea to purchase the best wok to create amazing wok experience.
Hope the article was helpful. Thanks for being with us.
Latest posts by Kristy Warren (see all)
- Step-by-Step Guide to Hard Anodized Cookware vs Nonstick Cookware - September 17, 2019
- The Ultimate Guides On Kitchen Lighting Ideas - August 3, 2019
- How To Keep Water & Coffee Hot For A Long Time? - April 3, 2019